Skip to main content

Over Half Done

From the title you probably thought I was going to show a quilt or knitted item but I'm referring to the year. Here it is July 1st. Can you believe it, half the year gone.
I did want to share with you that it is 


That's right
A few year back this started in Australia and has now become global. It is a conscience awareness of our use of plastic. The use of plastic is so common, most of us overlook how much we do use.

So there's a Challenge
The challenge is quite simple. Attempt to refuse single-use plastic during July. 

"Single-use" includes plastic shopping bags, plastic cups, straws, plastic packaging...basically anything that's intended only to be used once and then discarded. If refusing ALL single-use plastic sounds too daunting this time, try the TOP 4 challenge (straws, plastic bags, plastic bottles & coffee cup lids).

The rules
  1. Attempt to refuse single-use plastic during July.
  2. Remember it's not going to be easy! It is a challenge, not a competition so don't worry about being perfect.
  3. Collect any unavoidable single-use plastic you buy. Keep in a dilemma bag and share it with us at the end of the challenge.
  4. It's up to you regarding how long you participate. You might decide to go plastic-free for a day, a week, a month or longer! However long you choose will still make a contribution.

Why you should participate
  • Apart from the small amount of plastic which has been incinerated EVERY piece of plastic which was ever produced still exists on earth somewhere. In the first 10 years of this century MORE plastic was produced than the entire last century!
  • Australians send 1 million tonnes of plastic waste to landfill each year.
  • Americans discard about 33.6 million tons of plastic each year, but only 6.5 percent of it is recycled and 7.7 percent is combusted in waste-to-energy facilities, which create electricity or heat from garbage.(source http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2012/01/31/what-happens-to-all-that-plastic/)
  • Do your part to make a change.
  • Why use something for a few seconds that is going to spend the rest of your life trying to break down in landfill? We really need to change our habits.


For more info you can go to http://www.plasticfreejuly.org/ or do a search of your own on google for other info on the topic going plastic free.

My thoughts are that I would take the challenge and like suggested I will collect what I do use and save till the end of the month and do a show and tell.

But until than I will share throughout the month ideas, patterns and other finds on how to replace or use less plastic.

You up to the Challenge with me.
hope you do and leave a thought in comments 
I love to hear yours.

Comments

  1. Great idea! I bought a Coke in a glass bottle today :) It's so good, with no corn syrup, oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my jam pectin is now sold in a plastic container. Hm. I do can jam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes our county has gone bag free. all bags, now if you buy anything, you can buy a bag. almost two years now. My friend and I began making bags from non loved fabric, to give away also. They are wonderful and I love what has already done for our beautiful country. I will go further now. Thank you, Yes the challenge is mine! BJ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t